Notes

Images

Keep in mind that I am always looking for images for our newsletter; fish, sunsets, sunrises, other anglers fishing, equipment, anything fishing related. I can use them all.  Large, unedited images are best. Thanks.

Created by Scott McKee Oct 31, 2018 at 1:09pm. Last updated by Scott McKee Oct 31, 2018.

Thank you, Jay!

This site is sponsored by NMA Member Jay Nannen.

Well about a week before my trip to Cave Run, my father and i went to change the oil in the main motor. When we took the oil plug out we were SHOCKED to see the amount of water mixed in with the oil. Checked all seals which were all fine an came to the conclusion it must be a head gasket.(If u put regular 10% ethanl gas in ur boat DONT!! ITS TROUBLE)  Called Anchor Marine to see if they could squeeze us in before we left an the best they could do was the Tuesday after the trip. So while im thinking the trip is lost and gone an going to have to cancel a trip that has been in the works for months. Then it hits me we still have the kicker 9.9 merc we could just troll spot to spot, but is traveling 9 hours with a bum motor a good idea? Probably not. After a long hard decision, Fish or Not to Fish?, I realized it wasn't a hard decision at all. WERE GOING FISHIN

My good friend Rob an my cousin's husband, Andy arrived at my house around 9:30pm, packed up the truck hooked up the boat an we were on the rode by 10:15. Drove till 5am an decided it would be a good idea to stop at a rest stop an catch a few Z's. Woke up at 7:30 an ready to drive the final stretch. Arrived at Lake View Motel at about 9:30am an after checking in and unpacking we conveniently lauched at scotts creek marina across the street at about 10:30. We found Water temps to be between 46-48 degrees an visibility was atleast a few feet at the north of the lake. We casted an trolled caney creek, big/little cave run, zilpo flats and a few of the hollows along the muskie bend stretch with no luck. Actually we didnt see any signs of live what so ever, no bass musky crappie or shad/baitfish. Everyone we talked to said the same bass musky or crappie fisherman alike. An to put the odds against us even more the fish finders died not having a main motor to keep the batteries charged. Put the trolling gear away after that, to risky of a lake to troll with out knowing whats under you.

After hearing that there was a locale bass an musky tournament Saturday launching out of claylick we decided to launch out of longbow on beaver creek to try an stay away from the crowds. The water temp was in the low 50's. Didnt work much but lucky it was mostly bass fisherman in the area an only seen a handful of musky fisherman all day. After fishing some awesome looking standing timber an we worked our way into skidmore creek for the second time of the day after seeing a few gizzard shads earlier on. A tad before 5pm felt a distincted "THUMP" on my leo rubbertail jerkbait about 15 feet from the boat. After a quick battle had a beautiful plump an clean 39" in the net. Fished for a few more hours without another strike.

Sunday was suppose to be breezy so decided to head back to beaver creek to hit the same likely spots as the day before. Fished till 2pm with nada but a accident had happened an a treble hook was lodged into the side of Andy's head. First words out of my mouth after i made sure andy was ok considering hooks in his dome was "make sure we bring some hook cutters with us because i doubt the hospital will have any". After cutting the lure an the unlodged hook off we headed for Morehead to the nearest hospital. Well in a big hurry to unhook the boat at the motel before heading to the hospital, ofcourse I forgot the hook cutters. IDIOT! Andy was taken in after only about 20 minutes of being there but it took them close to an hour to find a tool to cut the hooks. Then close to another half hour to turn an push the hooks through the skin on the side of his head. Ended the night at buffalo wild wings for a few drinks and grub.

Planned on fishing early monday before we hit the road but after the accident an the night at B-Dubs (as the cute southern nurses called it) we were just gunna sleep in a little then get a head start home.   

Views: 392

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here's a blog from last year: Fishing for Memories Sake

I’ve been thinking about when I first started fishing for muskies lately.  Cory’s Cave Run report and Joe's foggy recollections of our past trips spurred this.

There is a sense of excitement, astonishment and discovery that is lost or perhaps dulled when you’ve been at our game for a while.  Musky fishing is still my favorite pastime and I’m not trying to brag here by any means, but there is just a little something missing when learning turns into knowing; when hoping is replaced by expecting.

This is not to say I know everything about musky fishing, as nothing I could say could be farther from the truth.  I will always sponge as much information as possible and try to apply it.  The best facet of my musky game is persistence, not skill.  Perhaps I’m just a bit jealous of our newer members, and I tend to get maudlin easily.

I want to pass on a little advice to the new guys.  To those that have just a few years under their belts and to those that are entering their first campaign this season; enjoy the hell out the learning process, the exploration, the equipment hoarding, the catches and even the skunking’s.

For some of you musky fishing will be a fad whether you think it is now or not.  I’ve seen a lot of new members get their first taste of success and then move on when things get tough or something else comes along.  Life changes our priorities over time whether we want it to or not. 

Some of you will continue on the musky fishing path and may pursue these wonderful fish for years to come or even until you are no longer physically able.  Either way, these first few years can be very special and very rewarding.  Have fun with them, and if you can, travel to other musky destinations.  New water is always marvelous no matter how long you’ve been at it.

Amen. Amen. Amen.

The learning, the exploring, the adventure will always be more memorable than doing the same things over the same spots over, over, and over again.

Work Hard, Play Hard, Die Hard

Throw it till you can't...

ALA BALA BALA jojoout

Cory, how tall is Andy - you might qualify for a top out-of-system catch. Glad to hear all turned out well.  If you have to use gas with ethanol, use an additive.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Scott McKee.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

xn_bar_red.css