Notes

Images

Keep in mind that I am always looking for images for our newsletter; fish, sunsets, sunrises, other anglers fishing, equipment, anything fishing related. I can use them all.  Large, unedited images are best. Thanks.

Created by Scott McKee Oct 31, 2018 at 1:09pm. Last updated by Scott McKee Oct 31, 2018.

Thank you, Jay!

This site is sponsored by NMA Member Jay Nannen.

Forget the beavers. It's the cormorants (see above). Here's a pic of the bald eagle's nest & the cormorants muscling their way in. The big nest (upper right of center) is the eagle's. All the small ones are the cormorants.

That's not white paint on those rocks on Motor. It's like that under every tree the cormorants inhabit.

Views: 107

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A sad day
Great pics Mr. VP in charge of environmental conservation
Jojoluvsm

Jojo...The future might be in not trying to save the old trees like we've been doing, but in planting new ones that are protected with wire to hold the island stable. The cormorants might not be interested in the new small trees.

From what we saw, there were no new trees eaten by beavers. All fencing work was either replacing out-grown ones or finding saplings that had never been wrapped.

The DEC has a grant program called "Trees for Tribs." Don't know if we'd qualify but they can't tell us "NO" if we don't ask. As VP, Jojo, I think it should be looked at

I took my boat out for the first time last week. Was in the harbor and the DEC or USFW were "managing" the cormorant population. Probably to protect the tern nesting. Hopefully they were on or will be on Strawberry and Motor too.

That's good to hear, Tony. Frog Island could use some "managing" too.

Cormorants: Ugh!

FAS...I went to the Lake Erie Outreach yesterday & it was explained what happened to the previous practice of shooting them & why it was stopped, and how it's being started up again. There will be a short paragraph outlining it in June's Conservation Corner. "Management" is being resumed but for a different reason. Tony has it right.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Scott McKee.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

xn_bar_red.css