Notes

Images

Keep in mind that I am always looking for images for our newsletter; fish, sunsets, sunrises, other anglers fishing, equipment, anything fishing related. I can use them all.  Large, unedited images are best. Thanks.

Created by Scott McKee Oct 31, 2018 at 1:09pm. Last updated by Scott McKee Oct 31, 2018.

Thank you, Jay!

This site is sponsored by NMA Member Jay Nannen.

I just found out about these meetings. It is too late for the meetings in Rochester and Pulaski but I thought I would pass it along in case any members want to attend the Lockport meeting tonight. The meeting is about the alewife situation in Lake Ontario and related salmonoid management.

DEC Announces Lake Ontario Fisheries Public Meetings

Biologists Will Discuss Status of Lake Ontario's Alewife Population

New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) Commissioner Basil Seggos today announced upcoming public meetings on the status of Lake Ontario's alewife population and the salmon and trout fisheries it supports. Public meetings will be held during November in Oswego, Niagara, and Monroe counties. An online meeting will also be held to provide additional opportunity for public participation.

"Lake Ontario and its tributaries provide world-class salmon and trout angling opportunities," Commissioner Seggos said. "Salmon and trout fishing in Lake Ontario has been outstanding this season and DEC remains committed to ensuring that the ecological, recreational, and economic benefits of this sport fishery are sustained through science-based management practices."

Alewife are small forage fish that make up a significant portion of salmon and trout diets in Lake Ontario, especially Chinook salmon. During the meetings, biologists from DEC and the United States Geologic Survey will present the latest science that will help guide DEC and the Province of Ontario determine trout and salmon stocking levels for 2020. The public will have the opportunity to ask questions and provide feedback.

Meeting dates and locations are as follows:

Wednesday, Nov. 6: 6:30 - 9 p.m., Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) campus in the Chester F. Carlson Center for Imaging Science, Rochester, Monroe County.

Thursday, Nov. 7: 6:30 - 9 p.m., Pulaski High School auditorium, 4624 Salina Street, Pulaski, Oswego County.

Wednesday, Nov. 13: 6:30 - 9 p.m., Cornell Cooperative Extension Building, 4487 Lake Avenue, Lockport, Niagara County.

Thursday, Nov. 14: 6:30 - 9 p.m.: This meeting will be conducted online. To join the meeting, click here. If asked for a meeting number or a password use the following: Meeting number: 641 790 213, Password: PCVMcPX3

Upon joining the meeting, the caller will be prompted to connect to audio using their computer. Those who prefer to connect to audio via phone may do so by calling this toll free number: 1-844-633-8697, access code: 641 790 213.

Those who cannot attend a meeting can still provide comments via email at fwfishlo@dec.ny.gov. For further information contact Chris Legard by calling (315) 654-2147 or by mail to: DEC Lake Ontario Unit Leader at the Cape Vincent Fisheries Station.

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/NYSDEC/bulletins/266a0ae

Views: 113

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'll be there. Should be interesting. 

Here is some more info I found.

Note that there will also be a public online meeting Thurs. at 6:30PM.

According to a post on LOU from Charter captain of Yankee Troller, He said, "4 captains, 1 professor, 15 students, 1 DEC officer, 1 news person, and 1 stream guy. VERY poor turnout, but there is a WebEx next week people can attend".

Here is a News article from someone who attended the meeting at RIT.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdoors/2019/11/its-all-about-the-a...

Steve...here's an article that was in last week's BN that Bill Hilts Jr wrote on the alewife issue. There are a lot of competing factors and a lot more unknowns. I hope it's a good turnout this evening. I've been to other DEC meetings in Lockport & there is usually a good turnout

https://buffalonews.com/2019/11/06/buffalo-niagara-falls-lake-ontar...

Interesting meeting yesterday, Steve. I stopped counting at 40 people. There were charter captains, DEC (Chris D, Joe Z, Mike T) to name a few & some from the Cape Vincent area. Bill HIlts Jr was also there taking pics, asking questions & taking notes. I'll be waiting for his article.

A good number of Charter Captains were complaining about possible cut in Chinook stocking numbers,because of Alwive numbers on downturn. Most wanted to see the reduced stocking for East end of Ontario and stocking stay the same for West end.Steve Lapan made note that stocking for Salmon River can not be reduced,because that is the egg collection / Hatchery Source!
Was also noted that lower stocking numbers of Chinooks would result in less numbers ,but bigger fish ,some in 30+ lb because they would have more Alwives to eat per fish.

It seems to me that they should strongly consider taking measures to reduce the lake trout population in the lake.

I would think upping creel limit on kings and Lakers, maybe season length changes also, would have a better response from the fishing community and retain the potential for the large fish because most people realize the smaller ones are better eating anyway

One of the Regulation changes they are looking at is an earlier Lake Trout season!

It just seems to me that the earlier opener for lake trout season will not have much impact on the lake trout population. I don't think there are enough anglers, lake wide, who will target them during that time. Mostly just the Lower Niagara and the Niagara Bar.

Capt. Larry D. Jones said:

One of the Regulation changes they are looking at is an earlier Lake Trout season!
Steve,You need to remember the U.S.F.W. considers Lake Trout first ,native species of Lake Ontario.Salmon & Steelhead being non native will always get cut first to balance ecosystem!

Just like sturgeon and brook trout (in streams). The trend is to go back to native species, not that they're always going to be successful. Fish like salmon & steelhead bring in big $$ and they try to keep that in mind, too

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Scott McKee.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

xn_bar_red.css