The 2017 Tim Wittek Memorial Tournament is scheduled for Sunday, November 5, from 7AM to 4PM. In case you’ve never participated in one of our memorial tournaments before, or if you have better things to remember, I’ll outline everything (almost) you need to know:
1. The entry fee is $25 per angler. Only members of the Niagara Musky Association are eligible to participate. Tournament boats may have as many participants as their USCG sticker allows, provided that everyone on board is entered in the tournament and is a licensed angler.
2. Since the Wittek falls before our November meeting, signing up will be a little more difficult (chiefly for me) than normal. Here are a few ways you can enter:
- Send a check payable to the Niagara Musky Association, to:
100 Evans Street
Williamsville, NY 14221
- Confirm with me that you are entered in the Wittek prior to the event, and pay me afterward at the foot of Sheridan. My phone number is (716) 225-3816, and my email address is firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also message me via our website. Please stand by your word. If you have to cancel, contact me by 7:00AM the day of the tournament.
3. To enter a caught musky, a picture of the fish on a non-flexible measuring device will be required, as well as a witness to the catch. Please measure from the tip of the tail to the snoot. Please make sure you to measure the fish on a wet surface. Please minimize the time the musky is out of the water.
4. Eligible waters are the eastern end of Lake Erie, and the upper and lower Niagara River.
5. After releasing a musky please report the fish to me on my cell phone or on VHF channel 9. Feel free to check in with me periodically throughout the tournament for leaderboard updates. This will allow for quicker releases of fish too small to qualify for third place. Carrie will also post updates on our website. All releases must be reported to me no later than 4:00PM. If you get bit at 3:59, land the fish really quickly and get on your blower.
6. Cash prizes are awarded for the longest three muskies released. I believe the payouts are 50% to first place, 30% to second and 20% to third. In the event only two fish are entered, I think the payoff is 60% for first and 40% for second. If only one fish is entered, the lucky angler takes 100% of the pot. If there is a tie, we’ll have Tony or Scott figure out what happens. They’re smarter than I am.
7. There will be a post-tournament get-together at the foot of Sheridan. We will be crushing Jojo’s chili like there is no tomorrow. Stay away from Kitchen’s mouth if you know what’s good for you. Jojo’s tournament entry fee will be waived to cover the expense of the chili, condiments and paper products. I hope it’s a little chilly out when we eat the chili. There is nothing better…
8. In the event of a Small Craft Advisory the tournament will be postponed. The blow date will be the following Sunday, until we run out of Sunday’s in November. If it looks like there will be a Small Craft Advisory for the day of the event, i.e. high winds on the way, I will postpone the tournament to save those with a long drive the hassle. I will announce any postponements on our website the evening prior to the tournament.
9. All tournament participants must be valid fishing license holders and must abide by all applicable state and provincial fishing regulations.
If you have any questions, never hesitate to contact me. Have fun, and good luck.
So, who’s in for the Wittek besides Carrie, Aurora and I?
so, if there's a $25 prize for the 1st musky released, (regardless of size?), that means my (or Joe's) entry fee is paid for. Joe Scheda & I are IN!! We're bringing fly rods, switch rods, casting rods, RO's & toothy's We'll need to tow a barge behind us just for all the gear!
That'll give the rest of us a chance to win, Larry (haha). Best of luck with the charter though. Give the clients what they came for!
Capt. Larry D. Jones said:
Finally had a chance,usually can't to get in a NMA Tourney and the weather knocks you out! Can't do Nov 12th charter fishing day,good luck to everyone that can get out on Nov 12th..
Some strong competition here! I would have a hard time deciding who to put my money on if I had to choose. I am intrigued by team Miller though.
Scott McKee said:
Here's who I have participating in tomorrow's TWMT:
Carrie and I
John Pensyl and Josh Kane
John Miller and a mystery partner
Joe Soldaczewski, Andrew Lawson and Dave Gorski
Capt. Larry and Al Hoerl
Scott Kitchen and Carl Schenk
Joe Hetzendorfer, Ken Szymanski and Bill Gliss
Joe Hetzendorfer, Jr. and Andrew Porzio
Joe Wilczewski and Jerry Schneider
Sean Leary and Frank Varisco
Andrew and Danial Lacko
If you are on the above list and are NOT participating, please respond to this reply or contact me at (716) 225-3816. Thanks and may the best man or woman (hopefully) win. Good luck to all and see you for chili at the foot of Sheridan afterward.