Notes

Images

Keep in mind that I am always looking for images for our newsletter; fish, sunsets, sunrises, other anglers fishing, equipment, anything fishing related. I can use them all.  Large, unedited images are best. Thanks.

Created by Scott McKee Oct 31, 2018 at 1:09pm. Last updated by Scott McKee Oct 31, 2018.

Thank you, Jay!

This site is sponsored by NMA Member Jay Nannen.

A friend of mine who does not report with the club caught a tagged fish today.  Wasn't sure where he was supposed to report it but passed the info on to me.

UN2   (about) 40"  yellowish floy tag number 09-015

Views: 391

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I reviewed the MI records, too. All their tagging was done in the upper river, and few anglers, if any, fished for muskies in the harbor or the lake. But in 1982 a 48" was caught and tagged near Strawberry Island and recaptured by walleye anglers a week later near Fort Erie (the fort) south of the Peace Bridge.

Thanks Tony. That's the fish I was thinking of. Far cry from sturgeon point tho. See that's how tall tales happen. Lol
If emerald shiners can make the trip...
I tagged a 44" in UN3 in 2001 and recaptured it four years later in Lake Nipissing... Although I have to admit I was drinking a lot at the time...;)

What's also significant about the MI fish, 101, and 843, is that they were all captured/recaptured in either June or November. Which suggests they might not have been around the rest of the year, which further supports the migration theory (come in late fall, winter over, spawn and gone). 

This is something I reported in the December, 1999 newsletter regarding 843:

"TAGGING STUDY: Significant report: Aaron Shirley reported that a member of Muskies Canada reported catching and releasing a 43-inch musky wearing tag number 0843 in the west river on November 20, 1999. The fish was originally caught and tagged on November 24, 1998, by Frank DiMarcantonio in BH9 (Buffalo Harbor). That’s our
first cross-over! Although it has seemed fairly obvious to veteran anglers, this is the first hard evidence we have of migration between the lake and the river, a very significant variable in the management of this fishery!"

Although I was never in charge of the tagging study, I'm still "surprised" that I (and everyone else? - but who's still around from back then?) forgot about this fish. 

The DEC is planning on spotting the three extra receivers we got from them within a week or two. When they do that, they also plan on downloading the data from the three receivers already in the Harbor. Since the 10 muskies were implanted after the receivers were in, we should be able to look at their spawning movements, if they went near the receivers. If they moved out of the Harbor, those receivers will then be quiet & Jonah of USFWS should pick them up. He's planning on coming up here July or Aug to check on a few of his receivers

I can't wait to see data start to accumulate on telemetry study.

Yeah I am looking forward to the telemetry study too.  

I wish some of the St Clair fish would migrate to here.  Nothing is stopping them. 

They've had more than 1 of their fish picked up way out in lake Erie already. Quintano from fins and grins said that they did have one that was picked up in the buffalo harbor already but I was hoping to see that data for myself. I known that both Presque isle and long point have had clair fish visiting. Lots of incidental catches the last few years and now verified by the study.

With the number of fish in LSC, even 2 or 3 of the radio tagged fish documented in Buffalo, or even just Lake Erie could mathematically equate to a pretty big number commuting to Erie. Wouldn't it be wild to see an Upper Niagara fish travel to LSC? Every year it will be like waiting for the next season of your favorite TV show. Only it will be true reality.

When all the data is in from all the receivers I'm willing to bet that there will be at least one surprise. When our three receivers get downloaded next month, all we'll know is what went by those, which could be surprising. All the others out in the lake get downloaded in the fall, the data gets sifted and sorted, then we'll get everything that pertains to our transmitters. It'll be good reading during the winter.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Scott McKee.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

xn_bar_red.css